Last week we celebrated Earth Day. Around the world people honored our Mother Earth in a variety of ways. There were neighborhood cleanup projects, recycling drives, flower-planting initiatives, marches, and pledges to go green. Most of us probably didn’t do anything too extreme – maybe some gardening or liking the beautiful photos shared on our feeds. But now that Earth Day is over, what should we be doing?
There seems to be this idea that “going green” and saving the Earth is something that is confined to scientists or extreme tree-huggers. To really benefit the Earth and minimize our impact, it takes dramatic effort and action. Actually, it doesn’t! There are so many little ways that everyday people can contribute to the green effort without being too hard core.
Easy Ways to Love the Earth After Earth Day
• Learn About Recycling. You don’t even HAVE to start recycling if you’re not ready or it takes too much work. Just read up on the ways we are recycling to reduce the chemicals we create.
• Choose to Reuse. Switching to reusable items can save a lot of trash and recycling effort. Use plastic water bottles and cups, rather than disposables that will clog landfills. Say no to the convenience of paper products in your dining room, even if it means doing some extra dishes.
• Start a Compost Pile. If you have a small space in your garden, alongside your home, or somewhere in your backyard out of the way, it’s an excellent use of your land! A compost pile can reduce the amount of waste in a landfill, and it can also positively impact the health of your soil.
• Go Energy Efficient. Check the dates and energy efficiency of all your appliances. If they are old, consider replacing them with an updated, more energy efficient version. Don’t stand for leaks or appliances that drain power in your home. Another cheaper option is to replace all the lightbulbs in your home with more energy efficient bulbs as part of your spring cleaning sweep.
• Say Hello to Solar. Solar panels are a popular option to day for helping the Earth. Solar panels are able to convert free and abundant rays from the sun into power that will run your entire house one day. Now is a great time to get a free consultation from Mountain States Solar & Roofing to see how going solar can not only help you – but the environment too.
• Think Hybrid. If you are in the market for a new car, consider the more fuel efficient, electrical, and hybrid versions of cars on the roads today. You are saving the Earth as well as gas money!
Earth Day has come and gone, but you can make easy choices each day to go more energy efficient and save the world!