Solar energy is complex, building on decades of careful scientific research and inquiry. The solar panels you see popping up on homes everywhere today are the grandchildren of early discoveries from geniuses who came before. Now there are many, many solar companies setting up solar panel systems for homes and businesses across the country. We’ve come so far. There are also a lot of pieces of information and opinions to sift through as you learn about solar energy.
We’re here to start with the 5 basic things you need to know about solar energy.
- Sun Power. You probably already knew this, but solar energy is completely powered by the sun. Some people think you also need some electrical power or other forms of energy in order to collect and convert the solar energy, but you don’t! All solar panels need is direct access to sunlight and they’ll begin working all on their own.
- You’ll Use Both. For most regular, residential customers, they will not totally replace their home’s energy with solar energy. Most of the homes you see will be using both solar energy and the electrical grid system. If you have a huge roof and plenty of funding you may be able to get enough panels to power your entire home, but it’s ok if you don’t! Even a few solar panels will make a difference in your energy consumption.
- It’s Green! Solar energy is already making a difference in the amount of power generated in our country. Power plants are still producing, but they produce less and less as more people begin supplementing with solar energy.
- Low Maintenance. Many people are wary of solar panels because they seem so technical and scary. In reality you’ll never have to deal with them. They’ll be installed by professionals and then they operate as designed for 10+ years. If they’re damaged by weather or accidents, you’ll call a repair team. Otherwise solar panels will just sit quietly on your roof, powering your home without you having to worry about it.
- You have to see solar panels as an investment. They do have an up front cost which scares some people away. Instead, see solar panels as an investment. Eventually you will pay them off, and they will immediately begin saving you money on your utilities bill. Another thing to consider is the property value increase you’re getting. Selling a home fitted with solar panels is an easy task and will get you money back.
Solar panels are getting a lot of noise as they grow more prevalent in our communities, but it’s important to do your own research to discover the things you absolutely need to know about solar energy. After you’ve sorted through all the information, call Mountain States Solar and Roofing with questions, for a free consultation, or to get your solar panels installed right away.